Thursday, October 30, 2008

More Pictures from Singapore & Malaysia Diving

Last weekend I traveled north into Malaysia for a 3 day diving adventure. I was able to complete my AOW diving certifications, including several dives to 30m. The trip included a 4 hour boat ride to Mersing, Malaysia and a 4 1/2 hour, 40 mile boat trip out to Pulau Aur off the east coast of Malaysia.



Once on the island I stayed at a cozy "Resort". I splurged for a private room, with in-suite bathroom, based on the bed sheet I am pretty sure I got the honeymoon suite. The room was actually fine, and did have a small air conditioner, and I did enjoyed having my own space.


Here is a picture of my full service in-suite bathroom...


I left Singapore at 7:30pm on Friday arrived on the beach at 5:30am Saturday morning. After finding my bungalow and getting a bit of a rest, this is the view from the beach that greeted me after the sun came up.



Here is a picture of the dining facilities, one of the boat we used to ferry divers and equipment out to the dive boat anchored in deeper water, and one with several of us heading out to dive in the little boat. FYI, On Saturday morning we had 30 people with all our luggage on this boat being ferried in to the beach. We made it in one trip.







Here we are gearing up for a dive, and one of me descending on one of my dives.




Cuttle Fish with me in background


Larger group heading out for dive on Saturday


Morey Eel peeking out on night dive


Dude... a turtle


This one's called a Christmas Tree Worm


They come in lots of different colors


A couple with me and others on the wreck in 90' on Monday morning




Back above water, This was the view from my room and the sunset Sunday Night




So time to head back, one last shot of the Atlantis Resort on Pulau Aur


After the long boat ride back to Mersing, we had hamburgers. However, these weren't your McD-Burgers. They were made with love and wrapped in an egg and seasoned with chili sauce before being put in a bun.


This Junk was anchored about a little ways from the resort.



This is a little deserted island (ok, so there is a house on it...) we passed by on the way back to the mainland


I did have a bit of an accident when I kicked a rock jumping into the little ferry boat. It looks much worse than it feels.


So those are the highlights of my dive trip. Here are a few more pictures from Singapore.

I had Durian last week. If you have never had it before, the best way to describe it is it smells like an bad outhouse, the taste is initially sweet, but the after taste is comparable to raw onions... Not my favorite, but a rite of passage in Asia.





I had the Durian while shopping in the Bugis Shopping district. This is the largest "street shopping district" in Singapore. As you can see, the prices are pretty good, and the shops are small.






But to be honest, Bugis is the exception here in Singapore. Most of the shopping is comparable to the states. In fact I have heard several folks refer to Singapore as Asia Light. Everyone speaks english. It is clean and safe.

So lastly, when I got back from diving I moved into a new hotel... actually a serviced apartment. Here is a picture of the outside and the view from the elevator landing.



3 comments:

Debbie J. said...

I miss you terribly but am so happy that you are having fun as you work!!!!!

Dorothy said...

wow, what a place you are in! I am getting a glimpse of why you've been hanging around Monterey Bay- I never understood why you'd want to go down with all that seaweed...but this ocean-that's a different story!
Love all the pics. Stay safe and come home in one piece (and two healed feet.
Love you...

Cassanova said...

sooo beautiful
https://www.cekaja.com/info/7-daftar-merk-router-wifi-terbaik-2020-ini-bikin-wfh-jadi-lancar/